Tomato, watermelon, feta is a pretty regular salad. A lot of people love it and we posted a recipe for Juneteenth, but this time we’re stepping it up a notch! Specifically, the Chhonk (turmeric oil) elevates this salad and makes it unlike anything I’ve ever tasted before! I highly recommend making this salad (and start experimenting more with tempering).
- ¼ cup virgin coconut oil
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed peppercorns
- 1 tsp. coarsely crushed coriander seeds
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds
- ½ tsp. ground turmeric
- ¼ large seedless watermelon (about 3 lb.), preferably yellow, rind removed, flesh cut into ½" pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 medium heirloom tomatoes, cut into ½" pieces
- 8 oz. mild French feta, cut into ½" pieces
- Flaky sea salt
Heat coconut oil, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and turmeric in a small saucepan over medium until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Let turmeric oil cool slightly.
Arrange watermelon, tomato, and feta on a platter. Drizzle turmeric oil evenly over and sprinkle with salt.