This recipe is super good, first because turmeric rice is always a good decision, second because the flavors are sweet, salty, spicy, savory, and delicious all paired together. And last but not least, it's leftovers are incredible.
- ¾ cup unsweetened coconut flakes
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- 4 cups brussels sprouts, trimmed
- 6 Tbsp. grapeseed or canola oil, divided
- Kosher salt
- 1 1" piece ginger, peeled, grated
- ½ cup coconut cream (from a 5.4-oz. can, or spooned from surface of a 15-oz. can of unsweetened coconut milk)
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 8 cups cooked rice (from 2 cups uncooked)
- ½ cup cilantro leaves with tender stems
- ½ cup dried unsweetened cranberries
- ½ cup mint leaves
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallions
Preheat oven to 375°. Spread coconut on a small rimmed baking sheet and toast until golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl.
Spread almonds in an even layer on same baking sheet and toast until golden brown, 3–5 minutes. Add to bowl with coconut. Let cool and set aside.
Quarter brussels sprouts, reserving any leaves that fall off. Transfer sprouts and leaves to a large rimmed baking sheet and toss with 2 Tbsp. oil. Season with salt and toss again. Roast brussels sprouts until deep golden brown, tender in the center, and crisp around the edges, about 25 minutes.
Meanwhile, whisk ginger, coconut cream, and honey in a small bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then whisk in vinegar and 2 Tbsp. oil until dressing is emulsified. Taste and season with salt if needed; set dressing aside.
Heat turmeric and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a large nonstick or cast-iron skillet over medium-high. Add rice and cook, tossing, until warmed through, 3–4 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl. Add brussels sprouts to rice and toss to combine.
Add cilantro, cranberries, mint, and scallions to bowl with reserved coconut and almonds. Pour in 3 Tbsp. reserved dressing and toss to coat. Top rice salad with cranberry-herb mixture. Serve with remaining dressing alongside.